The primary mission of Leland Speed Library is to provide services and resources to support the present and future educational and informational needs of the Mississippi College community.
Working in an atmosphere which reflects the ethical and spiritual character of the university, the library provides instruction and assistance in the effective use of information, a variety of resources to support the university's academic program, and access to information resources worldwide.
Goals and Objectives
1. To encourage maximum use of the library's resources, services, and facilities by faculty and students, the library will:
- Select, acquire, preserve, and make available resources to support the university's academic program, including the integration of faith and learning.
- Provide an environment conducive to research, reading, individual and group study, and assignment preparation.
- Maintain collections of unique or rare materials with emphasis on Mississippi College and its history.
- Provide for users appropriate physical and/or digital access to resources and facilities.
- Provide for faculty and students an effective program of information literacy instruction to fulfill current research needs, promote lifelong learning, and develop critical thinking skills as necessary prerequisites to success in a technological world.
- Provide efficient and courteous information and reference services.
- Encourage professional development for library staff in order to maintain efficient and appropriate library services.
- Respond to the ever evolving states of information and its delivery and the university's curriculum by ongoing assessment of the library's services, technologies, and collections, incorporating change as needed.
2. To promote its image and enhance support, the library will:
- Seek opportunities for cooperative relations with local, regional, and national library networks and consortia.
- Offer cultural programs.
- Encourage support of library services and funding for collection development through outside sources.
- Foster good community relations by providing to the community limited access to materials and services.
- Develop marketing strategies that focus on the services that are unique to Speed Library and the ways the library can promote information literacy and enhance the effective use of all sources of information.