The staff at the Mississippi College Archives is happy to assist you in genealogy searches; however we cannot perform extensive searches. Our resources are available for whoever would like to come in and use them, and we will do our best to get you started. If you are looking for a particular church’s records we do suggest that you call first to be sure that we have those records at our facility. It is up to the churches’ discretion whether they choose to house their records here.
What We Can Do
The public is welcome to come in and use our collections during regular hours. We do ask that you contact us in advance of an on-site visit to assure presence of staff to assist you.
For a fee of $10 per name, the Special Collections Librarian will perform a general search of a church’s records. The fee will cover the search for one name and up to 5 photocopies. If more photocopies are required an additional charge of $5.00 will be added. The additional $5.00 will cover up to 25 additional photocopies.
Our collections are to be used under the supervision of the Special Collections Librarian or Assistant.
What We Can Not Do
- We are unable to perform extensive genealogical searches.
- Due to the delicate nature of our materials, we are unable to loan materials to individuals or other libraries.
- We cannot extend use of primary resources past normal hours, but use of secondary resources may be extended after meeting with the Special Collections Librarian.
- Unfortunately, due to time and staff restrictions we are unable to copy any church’s record book in its entirety.
What We Have and Do Not Have
- We have church records from churches that chose to house their records here.
- We have the yearly minutes of most Baptist Associations.
- We have copies of the Baptist Record.
- We have Mississippi College annuals and catalogs.
- We have copies of the MC Collegian.
- We do not usually have cemetery records.
- We do have materials dealing with churches affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, but not other denominations.
To Make A Request
Reference Requests are accepted through email, mail, and telephone; however, patrons who are able to visit the Commission will be given priority.
Heather Moore, Special Collections Librarian
Mississippi Baptist Historical Commission
P.O. Box 4024
Clinton, MS 39058